ART MAKES CHANGE – December 2015
“Art Makes Change” was the centerpiece art exhibit and performance space of an ambitious 10-day city-wide interdisciplinary event called VisionLA Climate Action Arts Festival. The event was conceived and executed by a small group of environmentally aware artists, philanthropists, and activists who wanted to raise awareness of Climate Change, to coincide with COP-21 in Paris, December 2015. The project activated the entire city of Los Angeles, and was spread out into Pasadena and all the way to Santa Monica. As part of the steering committee, I helped coordinate many special events that included this massive art exhibit, and also films, workshops, live music performances, children’s activities, spoken word, and much more.
My main focus was as Co-Curator/Co-Producer of the “Art Makes Change” exhibit that featured 75-artists and over 300 original artworks at the former Santa Monica Museum of Art at Bergamot Station. The event was so well received that a neighboring gallery, EarthWE, invited me to curate a “Best Of” and reproduce a smaller version of the same exhibit at that gallery for another month.
ART.LIFE – April 2013
One of my more ambitious art projects was as co-curator of a large and diverse group show entitled “Art.Life,” in conjunction with Los Angeles-based furnishings importers EWI Collections. The show was produced by Amy Demirchian, and was held at the historic LA Mart, 1933 South Broadway, just south of Downtown LA. from March 30 – April 20, 2013.
The red-carpet opening event attracted close to 2000 art enthusiasts, with nearly 300 works exhibited in a temporary gallery space of approx. 30,000 sq. ft.. Featured in the temporary exhibit were 50 of LA’s best and most creative fine artists in all mediums. The contemporary art work exhibited was diverse and eclectic,and included fine oil paintings in the classical style, edgy acrylic street art, contemporary abstract paintings, mixed –media encaustic works, and both contemporary bronze and classical sculpture.
Here are some highlights:
Additional Selected Exhibits and Events Produced:
* Curator, “The Art Of TanMatra – The Transformational Art of Dr. Steve Hinkey,” EarthWe Gallery, Bergamot Station, Santa Monica, July, 2017
* Creator/Co-Curator, “Take to the Streets” and “Earthly Delights” exhibits at Ren Gallery, Downtown LA, Spring 2017
* Curator, “Carnival Candy” featuring the photography of Producer/Director Stephen Verona, at EarthWe Gallery, Santa Monica
* Curator “The Art of Dia de los Muertos,” at Spring Arts Collective Gallery, DTLA, October 2016
* Curator, “Transitions,” “About Face,” and “Running in Circles” at Rebecca Molayem Gallery, 2016 – 2017
* Creator/Curator “Ode to the Bridge“ Exhibit at Art Share LA. (Sept. 2015) Exhibit of 80 pieces – sold 27.
* Pop Art Gallery at ITVFest/Pop Culture Convention (POP CON@LA Convention Center)
* Coordinated all aspects, including some content, catering, music, marketing for art film documentary produced by Ramey Warren “Terrell Moore – After the Fire.”